Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Brand New Experience


Today is a very special day for me. It's Sports' Day Heat Day 2, which is held at Hougang Stadium. I had signed up for the event known as 4 x 100m mixed relay. This is my very first time participating in Sports Day in Secondary School. In primary school, I was choosen to participate in Sports Day once. The event is to pass hoops around and move forward like a catapillar. That was my first and last Sports Day event I ever participate. However, this year Sports Day, I get another chance to participate in one event, so as to pull up the points for "Class For The Year Award" for participation points.

When I entered the stadium, adrenaline filled my whole body. That can be considered excited, and simultaneously, felt very nervous. I was excited as it is the first time I participate in a real Sports Day. At the same time I was nervous because there would be many fast competitors that I need to face. My hands turned clammy and cool when I saw the participants running on the tracks. It made my heart beat faster when I see the participants letting out their energy and seems to be running for their lives. When I saw some of the gasping for air, I felt I was also panting so hard.

When it was my turn to set foot on the running track, my heart beat as fast as the Japan's Bullet Train. It almost jump out of my heart. My legs also buckle under my weight. When I proceed to my position, many thoughts came to my mind. I was thinking about will I be able to complete the race or will I failed. I also wonder if I could recieve the baton smoothly.

"Bang!" Every runners at the starting point started running at top speed! Every second matters as it will determine who would be the champion. Now, the baton was passed to the second runner. My eyes could not be lifted off my team member, praying that it would go smoothly. Next, it was passed to the third runner. She was coming nearer and nearer to me at top speed. At that moment, others beside me had already ran off as their teammates had already passed their baton. I felt strong winds beside me. When she came nearer to me, I could see the baton was properly held in her hands. That gave me a satisfication feeling. "Tap" I could feel the baton touching my right hand. I grab it immeadiately and sped off as fast as my legs could carry me. "Tap,tap,tap". The sounds of feets stepping on the ground, trying to slow down as we are reaching the finishing line.

I was on cloud nine when I realised that I was not the last, but the second last. After the race, I found out that actually one of my team mate had fallen down during the race. When I heard that, I was shocked as I did not know the her real situation. Fortunately, she only suffered from some abrasion.

In my opinion, the Sports' Day Heat was very successful. Everyone wears a smile on their faces wherever they are. Even exausted faces turned into a smile when they completed the race. Cheering and laughters could be heard loud and clear. After this experience, I felt that it was very challenging and I might participate in 1 more event next year if I have another chance. I will probably wants to participate in 4x100, mixed relay againg and another 100m individual race(if there such a thing). Today is a very pleasant experience for me and I will definitely remember it for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment